This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my.
This Spanish rice delivers warm and exciting flavors that complement any meal! This tastes just like your favorite restaurant rice and is delicious served with any protein or Spanish inspired dish.
I have served this rice withand some and it was a total hit! It’s also amazing served along side and just about any taco or burrito. You can definitely get creative with this rice and serve it along so many things. The best part is, it’s one of the easiest ways to cook rice!
Homemade Spanish Rice
This Spanish rice is absolutely irresistible! When you think ofyou may not picture lots of flavor. Well, this Spanish rice is white rice taken to the next level! First, you saute some delicious onions and garlic to start the base for the rice. Then, you will brown the rice. Finally, you cook the rice in chicken broth and tomato paste for the ultimate punch of flavor. It’s seriously such a simple dish but packs more flavor than you can believe. It’s rice, but so much better!
The best part about this rice is how many ways you can serve it. It’s delicious served inside of aor a beef burrito. I absolutely love serving it with because it brings the dish so much extra flavor. The flavor is really similar to , so you can use it interchangeably! It’s so versatile and easy to use, you will love having this rice in the fridge for leftovers.
Spanish rice has a few more ingredients than regular rice. You are really ramping up the flavor with seasonings and broth. I also love adding jalapeno diced up so that you get a pop of flavor in every bite. You can adjust the spice level, and I talk more about that below in the tip box. You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Olive Oil: I prefer to cook my veggies and rice in olive oil. If you like using different oil, you can choose your favorite and use that instead.
- Onion: They are sauteed until soft and add so much flavor.
- Garlic: They really help to flavor the rice.
- Jalapeno: For a little spice. You can adjust the amount to suit your preference.
- White Rice: I prefer to use a medium or long grain rice. You can get away with using whatever you already have on hand in your pantry!
- Chicken Broth: To cook the rice in. This gives the rice a subtle savory flavor that you are going to love!
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste helps to add color and a little acidity which brings out all the yummy flavors.
- Cumin: This is an earthy, warm, and slightly citrusy spice that simply must go in this dish!
- Salt and Pepper: Rounds out the flavors of the rice.
- Oregano: Dried oregano is a little peppery and adds to the warmth of this rice.
Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
You are going to love how simple this Spanish rice is to make. You just need a large skillet and a handful of ingredients for the most flavorful rice you’ve ever had! The key to good rice is not moving it around once you add the liquids. If you mess with it while it’s cooking it can make it sticky and clumpy, which is definitely not what you want. I share more tips below in the tip box.
- Saute Onions: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add your onions and saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Brown Rice: Add in your garlic, jalapenos, and uncooked rice. Cook, stirring constantly to brown the rice, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano. Whisk to combine.
- Cook: Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes undisturbed. All the moisture should be absorbed by the rice. Add more time if needed.
- Fluff and Enjoy: Fluff with a fork and serve fresh!
Tips for Making Easy Spanish Rice
Whether you are a pro at cooking rice on the stove or this is your first time, these tips will help you perfect your Spanish rice.
- Let It Cook: One of the biggest mistakes people make when cooking rice over the stove is checking it and mixing it way too often! Once you add your liquids, you want to let it sit for about 20 minutes before you check on it. Resist the urge to stir it every time you check on it. Stirring it before all the liquid has been absorbed can make it really sticky and clumpy.
- Adjust Spice: You can make this rice as spicy as you like. If you want to add more heat, you can include some pepper flakes. You could also include the jalapeno seeds in the rice. That will kick things up a notch!
- Fluff Your Rice: Once your rice is completely finished cooking, fluff your rice with a fork. This will help to separate the rice and keep it from clumping.
Spanish rice makes amazing leftovers because the flavors just keep getting better. It also reheats super easily in the microwave along with your other leftovers. Here is how to store your leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add your onions and saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add in your garlic, jalapenos, and uncooked rice. Cook, stirring constantly to brown the rice, about 7-8 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano. Whisk to combine.
Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes undisturbed. All the moisture should be absorbed by the rice. Add more time if needed.
Fluff with a fork and serve fresh!
Calories126kcal (6%)Carbohydrates17g (6%)Protein3g (6%)Fat5g (8%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat4gCholesterol2mg (1%)Sodium867mg (36%)Potassium115mg (3%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A117IU (2%)Vitamin C4mg (5%)Calcium21mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.