Loaded Baked Potato Soup is hands down the best loaded baked potato soup that I have ever had. Creamy and delicious with all of the goodness of a baked potato and made right in your slow cooker!
Comfort soup in a bowl! If you love potato soup try this Creamy Red Potato Soup, Creamy Potato Soup, or Ham and Potato Cheddar Soup.
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Loaded baked potato soup recipe is one of my very favorites! When it is cold outside slow cooker soups are just what is needed to stay warm inside. It is my favorite all time soup that is so simple to make and the slow cooker does all the work. Soup is one of my favorite go-to recipes in the winter and this loaded baked potato soup recipe is at the top of that list. Soup is comfort in a bowl!
Potato soup is one of my favorite soups. It is thick, creamy and hearty! This is the ultimate loaded baked potato soup recipe! It is loaded with tender, diced potatoes in a creamy soup broth that is thick and chunky. This slow cooker soup is made for the potato lovers. This baked potato soup can be blended together and made smoother too! The flavor is amazing!
Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
Loaded baked potato soup is perfect for adding on all of the toppings. Pile it on with cheese, bacon and green onions and you are good to go! It totally reminds me of a baked potato and the soup is so creamy and has sour cream right inside. Best.soup.ever. Go and try it for yourself! I think you will agree!
- Potatoes: About 3 to 4 large russet potatoes that are peeled and diced before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Onion: Chopped up to your preference.
- Chicken broth: Add in for a smooth, flavorful broth.
- Butter: Mix this with the flour to make a thickening sauce to add to the soup.
- Flour: All purpose flour is best. It is used for thickening the soups sauce.
- Sour cream: Thickens with a flavorful flavoring that creates a rich and creamy broth.
- Heavy cream: If you would like to go lighter try half and half instead.
- Salt and pepper: To taste
- Bacon: Cooked and crumbled ahead of time.
- Cheddar cheese: Sprinkled over top of your bowl full of potato soup
- Green onions: Chopped and added as a garnish.
How to make Baked Potato Soup:
This loaded baked potato soup recipe is perfect for an easy dinner meal. Simply add the ingredients in the slow cooker and let the slow cooker cook throughout the day. Create a roux or a thickening sauce to add to the soup and stir together. Let cook a little longer and enjoy this soup warm. Add toppings on top and enjoy this baked potato soup recipe with your family.
- Add Ingredients to slow cooker: Add potatoes, diced onions and chicken broth to your slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 3-4 until potatoes are tender.
- Make the roux: About 30 minutes before it is done, In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Slowly add heavy cream, sour cream. The mixture should be thick. Add this to the soup and stir. Continue to cook in slow cooker for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve warm: Serve with toppings, or you can also stir them all into the soup. Enjoy
It is fun to add on toppings to make soup just the perfect combination. Mix and match your favorite toppings to make the best and ultimate slow cooker loaded potato soup recipe.
- Bacon bits: If you prefer to buy the bacon bits that makes it easier too.
- Shredded cheese: Mix up your shredded cheese.
- Sour cream: Think of a baked potato and what you love on it. Sour cream is the perfect addition to this creamy soup.
- Diced avocado: Perfect for adding that extra texture and flavor.
- Cooked corn kernels: Such a fun way of adding a southern twist on the soup.
- Croutons: Add a crunchy and soft bread texture that is comfort in your mouth.
- Chives: Green chives never looked so good on this creamy baked potato soup.
Tips for making Potato Soup:
- For a creamy potato soup: Cook the potatoes ahead of time until they are tender. Once they are tender, blend or mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Add to the slow cooker.
- Mashing potatoes: Use a fork, blender or a potato masher to blend potatoes together.
- Gluten Free: This loaded baked potato soup can be made gluten free by substituting the flour mixture with cornstarch to thicken the soup.
- Less salt: Substitute low-sodium chicken broth and bacon as a topping to help control the amount of salt in the soup.
- Low Fat: Instead of using heavy cream substitute half and half for a low fat option.
FAQs on Baked Potato Soup:
- How to thicken soup: Using flour and butter to make a roux helps thicken the potato soup at the end of its cooking time. Simply add the roux to the ending of the soup and let cook fo another 20 to 30 minutes to thicken.
- Which potatoes are best for soups: Either russet potatoes, yellow golden or red potatoes are best. They are less mushy being slow cooked for hours.
- How to keep potatoes from getting mushy in soup: If you are afraid of having a mushy soup, leave out your potatoes until about 30 minutes prior to finishing the soup from being cooked and add them in. The potatoes will be thick and slightly crunchy.
Storing Loaded Baked Potato Soup:
- Can you make baked potato soup ahead of time? Yes! This soup is easy to make ahead of time since it is cooked in the slow cooker.
- Can you freeze baked potato soup? Sure thing! This is a great soup recipe to add to a ziplock bag letting the air out and storing flat in the freezer for up to 3 months long. The potatoes do become softer and may mash in the freezer. When warming up you can blend the potatoes in and either add more potatoes or keep the broth thicker with the blended potatoes.
- Warming up: This soup is delicious warmed up in back in the slow cooker, microwave or heated on the stove top. Each of these processes are a slow process and will thicken back up to a hearty, creamy delicious soup.
More Amazing Slow Cooker Soup Recipes:
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 6 hours 20 minutes
Servings 8 People
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is hands down the best loaded baked potato soup that I have ever had. Creamy and delicious with all of the goodness of a baked potato and made right in your slow cooker!
- 4 cups Potatoes about 3-4 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy cream half and half will also work
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
Add potatoes, diced onions and chicken broth to your slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 3-4 until potatoes are tender.
About 30 minutes before it is done, In a medium saucepan,, melt the butter. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Slowly add heavy cream, sour cream. The mixture should be thick. Add this to the soup and stir. Continue to cook in slow cooker for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with toppings, or you can also stir them all into the soup. Enjoy!
Updated on February 22, 2020
Original Post on January 22, 2015
Calories388kcal (19%)Carbohydrates19g (6%)Protein10g (20%)Fat31g (48%)Saturated Fat19g (95%)Cholesterol102mg (34%)Sodium538mg (22%)Potassium589mg (17%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A1088IU (22%)Vitamin C19mg (23%)Calcium231mg (23%)Iron4mg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.