This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my.
Scotcharoos are a perfect combination of butterscotch and peanut butter with a twist of a Rice Krispie crunch in the middle and a thick, rich chocolate layer that makes an irresistible treat. Sink your teeth in these ooey, gooey bars!
Peanut butter-chocolate combination bars are always a hit in our family. Theseor these are also very similar to these scotcharoos and have the same great flavors!
What are Scotcharoos?
You just never know when you are going to need a sweet treat with a little crunch! This chocolate peanut butter bar is perfection. The fact that they are no-bake (like theseor these ) means that even your kids can make them!
The flavor of these scotcharoos is out of this world. The butterscotch mixed with the peanut butter and chocolate makes it the perfect hand-held treat for any occasion! Add these to your dessert list for sure and beware… You might want to double the recipe because they are that good.
Ingredients in Scotcharoos
Don’t let this shortlist fool you! The combination of these flavors melts in your mouth and keeps you coming back for seconds!
- Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter is best, and it keeps the base nice and smooth.
- Sugar: This sweetness helps bind everything together.
- Light Karo Syrup: Thick and rich syrup that will hold it all together like glue for these bars to hold their form.
- Rice Krispie Treat Cereal: The peanut butter-sugar mixture is stirred into the cereal that is rich, thick and crunchy.
- Butterscotch Chips: Melt these down and add to the chocolate melts. This is the “scotch” part of the scotcharoos.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: Microwave or melt on the stovetop for a thick chocolatey butterscotch layer over the top.
Are Scotcharoos Easy to Make?
Yes! This no-bake treat can be ready to eat in less than 15 minutes and it will be worth every second!
- Melt together: In a large-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine peanut butter, sugar, and Karo syrup. Melt, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Add in Rice Krispies and stir until combined.
- Prepare a pan: Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spread the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Melt topping: In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. Melt, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Pour on top and spread evenly over the bars. Let cool completely.
Can I use the Stove?
You can use a stove or a microwave to melt the chocolate mixture. Just be careful not to overcook or the bars will be hard. Melt the mixture until the sugar has dissolved.
Tips for Making Scotcharoos
Here are a few substitutions and tips so that the scotcharoos turn out perfectly.
- Peanut Butter: It is best to stick to natural peanut butter, but organic peanut butter will work. Whichever you choose, make sure that the texture is creamy. If you notice that the peanut butter oil has separated, stir and mix it together before adding to the sugar.
- Cereal: If you don’t have Rice Krispies or want another substitution, try cornflakes or Chex cereal for more varieties.
- Stovetop: When making this on the stovetop, make sure that your mixture does not boil or overcook. This will result in having dry or crumbly bars.
If you are lucky enough to have scotcharoos leftover, they make the perfect leftovers and store great!
- Room Temperature: Once the scotachroos have cooled, you can store them in an at room temperature. They will last for about 3-5 days.
- In the Freezer: To freeze scotcharoos, place the bars on parchment paper in an airtight container. Put a piece of parchment paper in between each layer so that they don’t stick. They should last about 2-3 months in the freezer.
Pin this now to find it later
In a large sized microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter, sugar and karo syrup. Melt stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Add in Rice Krispies and stir until combined.
Line a 9×13 inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spread the mixture evenly into the pan.
In a medium sized microwave safe bowl add the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. Melt stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Pour on top and spread evenly over the bars. Let cool completely.
*You can also make the mixture on the stovetop, just be careful not to over cook or the bars will be hard. Just melt until the sugar has dissolved.
Calories: 344kcalCarbohydrates: 55gProtein: 5gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 176mgPotassium: 179mgFiber: 2gSugar: 44gVitamin A: 598IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 17mgIron: 4mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.