This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my.
This onion gravy is hands-down the BEST! It’s rich, savory and filled with sweet, caramelized onions that really take it to the next level.
Onion gravy is seriously a game-changer when it comes to adding flavor to your favorite hearty dishes. Try it on someor over ! It’s so delicious, you’ll want to lick your plate.
Caramelized Onion Gravy Recipe
I never thought that I would love onion gravy as much as I do. Now that I’ve tried it, I don’t think I can go back to regular gravy. The caramelized onions add the most amazing flavor and texture! They’re nice and savory but also add a touch of sweetness to the gravy.
Besides the caramelized onions, this gravy is made with beef broth, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce for a rich and savory taste with a hint of tang. It’s so good, you’re going to want to put it on everything., , , bangers and mash, you name it! Onion gravy is a must-add to any hearty meat dish. Here’s everything you need to whip it up:
Ingredients for Onion Gravy
Onion gravy is great because it uses a lot of simple ingredients. This gravy is your own, feel free to leave out anything you don’t like, or adjust the seasonings and sauces to taste! (Check out my tips section below for variations.) Note: measurements that I used can all be found in the recipe card below.
- Large Yellow Onions: These are the base of our gravy. When cooked, they release their natural sweetness and become perfectly caramelized.
- Butter: Used to cook the onions in. Butter also adds an overall richness to the gravy.
- Honey: Honey complements the natural sweetness of the onions and adds some subtle flavor. Some other substitutes you can use are maple syrup or brown sugar.
- All-Purpose Flour: We need something to thicken our gravy, and flour does the trick! It also helps to give the sauce a smooth consistency.
- Beef Broth: Beef broth adds depth and meatiness to the gravy.
- Garlic Powder: A little bit of garlic powder goes a long way. It adds a pop of savory goodness! You can also use fresh minced garlic or roasted garlic if you prefer.
- Thyme: A classic herb that works beautifully with the savory flavor of this onion gravy.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to taste!
- : This might sound unusual, but trust me, it works! The mustard adds a tangy note to the gravy and helps to balance out sweetness.
- : Worcestershire sauce is a classic ingredient in beef dishes. It adds a savory umami flavor that complements the beef broth and onions perfectly.
How to Make the Best Onion Gravy
Getting your onions to caramelized perfection is a lot easier than you’d think. From there, all you have to do is combine the rest of your ingredients, and you have a delicious homemade gravy ready in 30 minutes!
- Add Onions and Honey to Skillet: In a large pan or skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced onions and honey to the skillet and cook until the onions are tender and begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
- Mix in Broth and Flour: Add the beef broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add in the flour. Whisk continuously to incorporate well, and avoid leaving any flour chunks behind.
- Season: Continue to simmer the mixture on low heat until it reduces. Stir in the seasonings, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk well and continue reducing the gravy until it is the desired consistency.
- Enjoy: Serve over mashed potatoes or with your favorite beef entrée!
Tips and Variations
Onion gravy is so delicious and will take dinner to the next level. Use these tips to make it just the way you like it!
- Other Types of Onions: If you don’t have yellow onions, you can use white or red onions instead. They’ll have a slightly different flavor, but it will still be delicious. You’ll have to test different kinds out and see which one is your favorite!
- Make it Vegetarian: You can use vegetable broth instead of beef broth if you want to make a vegetarian version of this gravy.
- Use Soy Sauce: A great substitute for Worcestershire sauce is soy sauce! It will add a similar umami flavor to the gravy.
- Serve With: , hamburger steaks, pot roasts, sausages, , you name it! Onion gravy is a super versatile condiment that you need to try out with all of your favorite hearty meals.
Once you’ve made your delicious onion gravy, don’t let any leftovers go to waste! They can easily be stored and enjoyed later to add some hearty flavor to your meals.
- In the Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat over the stove on medium heat when ready to serve.
- In the Freezer: Transfer your onion gravy to a freezer bag and store for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before you reheat it.
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat melt the butter. Add the sliced onions and honey to the skillet and cook until the onions are tender and begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
Add the beef broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add in the flour. Whisk continuously to incorporate well, and avoid leaving any flour chunks behind.
Continue to cook the mixture on low heat until it reduces. Add the seasonings, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk well and continue reducing the gravy until it is the desired consistency.
Serve over mashed potatoes or with your favorite beef entree!
Calories262kcal (13%)Carbohydrates12g (4%)Protein3g (6%)Fat23g (35%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat6gTrans Fat1gCholesterol61mg (20%)Sodium1149mg (48%)Potassium173mg (5%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar5g (6%)Vitamin A738IU (15%)Vitamin C5mg (6%)Calcium33mg (3%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.