This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my.
Chocolate chip scones are downright delicious. They’re buttery and soft, with pockets of chocolate chips for a melty surprise in each bite. These homemade scones are great for an on-the-go breakfast or an afternoon snack when you’re craving something sweet!
There’s something about a fresh pan of scones coming out of the oven. They’re so irresistible and smell great! Try out these recipes next: homemade, , and .
Homemade Chocolate Chip Scones
Let me tell you why homemade chocolate chip scones are an absolute delight. These babies are a labor of love and a breakfast game-changer. They’ve got a crispy outside and a melt-in-your-mouth inside that’s pure heaven. And let’s not forget the mini chocolate chips that create pockets of pure indulgence. Whether you have them fresh out of the oven or at room temperature, each bite will leave you wanting more.
But here’s the real deal: making these scones yourself is where the magic happens. You mix together a few simple ingredients, cut in chilled butter, and carefully fold in those chocolate chips. Then you wait anxiously as they rise and turn that beautiful golden color in the oven. From there you’re rewarded with a tray of homemade goodness that showcases your baking skills! These scones are perfect for breakfast or as a snack, especially when paired with a hot cup of coffee or tea. So treat yourself and indulge in the deliciousness of homemade chocolate chip scones!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Scones
Let’s take a quick look at the ingredients that make these chocolate chip scones so darn tasty. We’ve got the trusty flour and butter holding it all together, the mini chocolate chips adding that irresistible chocolatey goodness, and a dash of vanilla extract to elevate the flavor. It’s a dream team of ingredients that guarantees a mouthwatering treat! Exact measurements can be found below in the recipe card.
- All-Purpose Flour: This forms the base and structure of the scones.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens up the scones. Feel free to adjust the amount to taste. If you prefer less sweetness, you can swap the sugar out with honey or maple syrup.
- Baking Powder: It’s the secret behind those light and fluffy scones. It helps them rise to perfection.
- Salt: Balances out the flavors and enhances the overall taste of the scones.
- Chilled Unsalted Butter: This is what makes the scones moist, flavorful, and oh-so-flaky.
- : These little morsels of chocolate goodness create delightful pockets of chocolate throughout the scones. If you don’t have mini chips, regular-sized chocolate chips or chopped-up chocolate bars also work as great alternatives.
- Chilled Heavy Cream: Adds richness, moisture, and tenderness to the chocolate chip scones.
- Large Egg: This helps bind the ingredients together, adds moisture, and makes the scones nice and rich.
- : Gives the scones a tasty warm flavor.
- Extra Chocolate Chips: These get melted down to create a chocolate drizzle.
- Vegetable Oil: This comes into play when making a delicious chocolate drizzle to top off your scones. If you prefer, you can skip the drizzle or use melted butter or coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Scones
Not only are these homemade chocolate chip scones surprisingly easy to whip up, they take less than 30 minutes from start to finish! It’s the perfect way to get your pastry fix without slaving all day in the kitchen.
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then set aside.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add Butter and Chocolate Chips: Use a small grater to grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Then use your hands to lightly mix the butter into the flour, followed by the chocolate chips.
- Add Wet Ingredients, Shape Dough: In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, egg and vanilla extract. Pour over the butter and dry ingredients and stir to combine. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and, trying to work it as little as possible, gently knead the dough until it all comes together into a ball. Gently flatten into an 8-9 inch disc. Use a sharp knife to cut into 6-8 equal pieces.
- Bake: Arrange the pieces on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each one. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Add Chocolate Drizzle: In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Then heat in the microwave in 20 second increments until fully melted and smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cooled chocolate chip scones and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
To ensure you end up with bakery-worthy scones, here are a few simple tips to keep in mind!
- Use Cold Ingredients: Use butter straight from the fridge or freezer and use chilled cream and egg to help keep the butter very cold while you work the dough together.
- Don’t Handle Too Much: The warmth from your hands will melt the butter, preventing the scones from having a nice flakey texture. Work quickly to knead the dough together to prevent the butter from warming up too much.
- Swap Out Chocolate Chips: The mini chocolate chips can be substituted with regular chocolate chips or even milk chocolate, if that’s what you prefer. You can also use white chocolate chips or even butterscotch chips to switch up the flavor if you’d like!
Storing Leftovers and Making Ahead
- At Room Temperature: Store your scones in an airtight container. They will keep for 3 days. Simply pop them in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes for a quick, warm and tasty treat!
- Make in Advance: Prepare your scone dough in advance, wrap in plastic wrap, and keep in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the fridge and place directly into the oven to bake them.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
Use a small grater to grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Use your hands to lightly mix the butter into the flour, followed by the chocolate chips.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, egg and vanilla extract. Pour over the butter and dry ingredients and stir to combine. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and, trying to work it as little as possible, gently knead the dough until it all comes together into a ball. Gently flatten into an 8-9 inch disc. Use a sharp knife to cut into 6-8 equal pieces.
Arrange the pieces on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each one. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Heat in the microwave in 20 second increments until fully melted and smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cooled scones and enjoy!
Calories476kcal (24%)Carbohydrates58g (19%)Protein6g (12%)Fat25g (38%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat5gTrans Fat1gCholesterol72mg (24%)Sodium181mg (8%)Potassium161mg (5%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar32g (36%)Vitamin A670IU (13%)Vitamin C0.3mgCalcium99mg (10%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.