This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my.
Blueberry Crumb Cake is tender, moist and absolutely indulgent. Made with fresh blueberries every bite is bursting with flavor and sweetness!
If you love coffee cake, this is the cake for you. Add it to my other coffee cake favorites,, and ! YUM!
Easy Blueberry Crumb Cake
The great thing about blueberry crumb cake is that you can eat it for dessert or breakfast, or both. It is a tasty bribe to get everyone out of bed, cake for breakfast. Similar to coffee cake with it’s crumble top and cake like texture, it is a mouthwatering treat whenever you decide to indulge. The blueberries whether you use fresh or frozen give every bite a burst of sweetness that is sensational.
The crunchy sugar sweet crumb topping is the perfect compliment to the soft texture of the cake. The lemon zest and lemon juice add a brightness and a bit of zing that create a wow factor. Everyone is going to love this cake! You have to try it!
Ingredients For Blueberry Crumb Cake
Simple ingredients make a light tender cake, and the streusel crumble is perfect.
- Flour: All-purpose flour and unbleached flour are best.
- Baking Soda: Leavening agent that gives the cake its rise.
- Baking Powder: Another ingredient that helps the cake be light and fluffy.
- Salt: Balances the sweet and savory.
- Butter: Softened and room temperature.
- Sugar: Sweetness enhancer
- Egg: Adds moisture and tenderness.
- Vanilla: Adds flavor to the cake batter.
- : No worries if you do not have any on hand, you can make your own.
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen work great.
- Zest from a Lemon: The perfect companion for blueberries.
- Sugar: Sweetness added for the cake.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works better.
- Cinnamon: Spicy and sweet.
- Dash of salt: To balance the sweet.
- Butter: Softened and cubed
- Powdered sugar: Sift it for the best mixability.
- Heavy cream: Creates a smooth consistency.
- Fresh lemon juice: Use the Lemon juice from the lemon you zested.
Lets Bake a Cake!
In about 15 minutes you can have this in the oven and ready to bake.
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9×9 square pan or a 9 inch round pan. In using a round pan make sure it is at least 2 inches high. If desired, put parchment on the bottom of the pan and grease the top of the parchment as well.
- Dry Ingredients: Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream: Using a paddle, cream butter, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix: Add egg and vanilla and buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- Separate: Before adding the dry ingredients, remove 2 tablespoons from the bowl and set them aside.
- Combine: Add dry ingredients and mix until just barely blended.
- Blueberries: Toss blueberries in the reserved flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of your cake.
- Combine: Fold in blueberries and reserved flour by hand.
- Streusel: Mix together streusel topping ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until butter is about the size of peas.
- Bake: Pour cake batter into prepared pan and top evenly with streusel topping. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Top and Enjoy: While the cake is cooling, mix powdered sugar, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle across the top.
Tips For the Best Blueberry Crumble Cake
Light and tasty full of fresh blueberries.
- Blueberries: Use fresh or frozen blueberries for this cake with equal success. If you use fresh, be sure to rinse thoroughly and let air dry a bit before adding the flour. For frozen berries let them thaw slightly and drain any excess water from the thawing. If needed you can a teaspoon or so extra flour to help with the moisture.
- Do Not Overmix: The important part about this cake is to not overmix, this will create a dense tough cake. Especially when you are ready add the blueberries. If you over stir the batter will turn purplish-blue and your berries will begin to collapse.
- Buttermilk: This brings the all-important moisture and tang we all love in the cake. But even more important than that, it will combine with the baking soda and create a chemical reaction that will create air holes. Creating a light airy melt in your mouth texture to the cake. If you do not have any buttermilk on hand, never fear you can make it in a matter of minutes with some milk. Get the
- Lemon: Adding lemon juice and zest adds a nice freshness to the cake. Zest your lemon after thoroughly washing and drying the outside. If you do not have a zester, use the smallest holes of a cheese grater. Stop testing when you get to the white part of the peel or pith. This is usually bitter and not very favorable. Juice the same lemon you zested for the icing.
- Nuts: If you want more of a crunch in your topping add ¼ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the crumble.
How To Store Your Crumble Cake
- Storage: To keep it fresh, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days or 5 days in the fridge. Warm in the microwave if you desire.
- Freezing: This blueberry crumble cake is a great one to freeze. Wrap tightly with foil and place in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Let it come to room temperature on the counter. Glaze as desired.
How to Make the Cake
Preheat oven to 375. Grease a or a . In using a round pan make sure it is at least 2 inches high. If desired, put on the bottom of the pan and grease the top of the parchment as well.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Using a , butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla and buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
Before adding the dry ingredients, remove 2 tablespoons from the bowl and set aside.
Add dry ingredients and mix until just barely blended.
Toss blueberries in the reserved flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of your cake.
Fold in blueberries and reserved flour by hand.
Mix together streusel topping ingredients with a fork or until butter is about the size of peas.
Pour cake batter into prepared pan and top evenly with streusel topping. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
While cake is cooling, mix powdered sugar, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle across the top.
Calories276kcal (14%)Carbohydrates47g (16%)Protein3g (6%)Fat9g (14%)Saturated Fat5g (25%)Trans Fat1gCholesterol38mg (13%)Sodium263mg (11%)Potassium74mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar27g (30%)Vitamin A291IU (6%)Vitamin C3mg (4%)Calcium19mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.