This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my.
Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon is a popular southern dish that is filled with crunchy peas, crispy bacon, chopped red onions, and cheddar cheese. This is an easy to make side dish that is perfect for your next potluck!
I am a lover of “salads” of every variety! Fruit salad, pasta salad, actual salad, you name it and I’m here for it. If you are like me, then you are going to love this, this delicious , and this crowd-pleasing .
Creamy Pea Salad
Peas. You either love them or hate them right? I love peas. One of the only veggies I actually like to eat. Even if you don’t like peas, this creamy pea salad is a potluck staple. I have been making some classics here on the blog lately. Ones that I have grown up with and are always at a potluck or family gathering (like thisand this ). This creamy pea salad is one of them. It is a southern favorite and really popular. And filled with bacon, it makes it even better!
I love this pea salad because it is so simple to make. I am usually in a hurry to make something quick for aand that is why I love to make this dish. You just have to add in some thawed peas, bacon, cubed cheese, and red onion and toss it in a creamy mixture. It is ready to go out the door in no time at all.
The basic ingredients in this best ever creamy pea salad are what makes this recipe one I make all the time. It’s so simple to throw together and it’s always a hit. I don’t have this on the list, but you can definitely add some freshly cracked black pepper over the top. I usually do! You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Peas: I like to use frozen because that is the most convenient. Let them thaw before using.
- Red Onion: Because you won’t be cooking the onion, it’s a good idea to use purple onion. They are mild and crisp.
- Cheddar Cheese: Buy a block of cheese and cut it into cubes.
- Bacon: This is super delicious with the peas. You can leave it out if you want to, or use ham as a substitute. You won’t need to add salt because of the bacon.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley adds great flavor and color.
- Sour Cream: This is part of what makes it so creamy and delicious.
- Mayonnaise: Mix mayo with the sour cream for the perfect taste.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is the ingredient that makes this different from all of the other salad recipes out there. It’s fresh with a little tang that brings the whole salad to life.
- Sugar: This is to balance out the acid from the vinegar.
Classic Creamy Pea Salad Recipe
Creamy pea salad is a simple pot luck staple that you can whip up in just 15 minutes. These are very basic ingredients that come together to make the best pea salad you’ll ever try! You could add some dill and garlic powder to the creamy pea salad dressing ingredients if you wanted to mix things up. Here is how to make this recipe.
- Add Ingredients: In a large bowl add the peas, red onion, cheddar cheese, bacon and parsley.
- Whisk Wet Ingredients: In a small bowl whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, cider vinegar, and sugar.
- Toss Together: Pour the creamy mixture in the large bowl over the peas. Toss until the peas are fully coated. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Tips for Making Creamy Pea Salad
There are definitely more ways than one to make this delicious creamy pea salad recipe. I don’t even make it exactly as the recipe is written every single time. If you are short on ingredients or want to switch up the flavors, here are some ways that I’ve made this recipe and loved it.
- Frozen Peas: You can definitely eat them raw. A lot of people wonder if it’s safe to eat frozen peas without cooking them. The answer is yes! Just like you can put frozen strawberries in your smoothie, frozen peas are totally safe to eat raw.
- Shredded Cheese: If you would rather shredded cheese in your green pea salad than cubed cheese, go for it! It is just as good with shredded cheese, and if you buy pre-shredded it cuts down on your prep time. I prefer the texture of the bigger chunks of cheese but it’s totally up to you.
- Substitutions: You could substitute the sour cream for greek yogurt. It actually tastes amazing that way and it stays just as creamy and flavorful. You could also add ranch dressing instead of the mayo if you wanted.
This creamy pea salad makes great leftovers. It holds up really well in the refrigerator and is great eaten cold or at room temperature. Here is how to store leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftovers in an in the fridge for up to 5 days.
In a large bowl add the peas, red onion, cheddar cheese, bacon and parsley.
In a small bowl whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, cider vinegar, and sugar.
Pour the creamy mixture in the large bowl over the peas. Toss until the peas are fully coated. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Updated March 3, 2023
Calories2745kcal (137%)Carbohydrates159g (53%)Protein118g (236%)Fat184g (283%)Saturated Fat78g (390%)Cholesterol372mg (124%)Sodium2633mg (110%)Potassium3074mg (88%)Fiber48g (192%)Sugar72g (80%)Vitamin A10430IU (209%)Vitamin C385.8mg (468%)Calcium1610mg (161%)Iron16.1mg (89%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.